Sunday, April 27, 2014

Perspective: Eastern Europe vs. America

I'd like to take a moment to offer some perspective on various things I've learned and experienced this past year, and several realizations and realities of life that have been revealed to me. Having the blessing and curse of growing up with two cultural lenses, I would like to express my criticism and upliftedness towards these cultures. Since I have experienced both these cultures, I believe I have every right to simply say how it is....wither it is offensive or not. If you don't like needles, the following reflection might sting you a little bit....

Musical Perspective: One thing I've noticed about Eastern Europe is it's perfectionism. I used to be like that as well, up until I was 15, and then I decided not to be perfect. That was the best decision of my life. I am much more free as a person. I've heard this phrase on the streets of Lietuva..."If you're not perfect at it...don't do it".....basically for things such as music, art, etc.....When I was living in America I was taught the perspective everything is possible. You can become anything that you want to be when you grow up. So I believed it with my whole heart. and now, as a young adult, looking back I wouldn't say I necessarily believe it with all of my heart...then on the other hand, in Eastern Europe I've noticed the perspective that is taught "Be realistic....You CAN'T become anything you want to be....most things ARE NOT possible....so now I find myself stuck somewhere in the middle...I don't completely agree with either perspective...I notice in Eastern Europe this perspective has infected my generation like a incurable disease...Many passions, visions, and dreams, have died because of this. My heart and soul cries and breaks over this thought.

So when it comes to music, Lietuva expects perfection. I'm sorry my dearest country, but it's time to wake up to the 21st century. Not everyone is born pure Mozarts.and you know what? that's okay. I completely disagree with the perspective that someone has to be perfect musically to be considered a "musician" in Eastern Europe. That is an old trend that is outdated and long gone in opinion. Especially within the Christian music scene in Europe, which seems like it was born yesterday.......cause in reality it was, I identify with many people within this circle. We are simply people who love Jesus with all our hearts, souls, and minds who have a passion to serve through doing music ministry. We may not necessarily all be perfect Mozarts, and I think that is just fine. The world needs more musicians who not just do music...but LOVE Jesus AND LOVE Music at the same time. And in this part of the world, when someone is rejected because they are not a musical perfectionist...I'm sorry that's just wrong...If God places a musical passion to glorify Himself in someone's heart, who are you to reject that person? You must have no soul to commit such an act....honestly speaking.......

Cultural Perspective: Out of all the places I've EVER lived in my life, I have never been SO offended and SO  blessed at the same time....How can these two concepts happen at the same time?....I don't know...I've often wondered that myself...It's like when I woke up in the morning these past almost 9 months, I knew in the back of my mind, I was going to be offended at least 20 times, and blessed 20 times as well all on the same day....and you guessed right this ALL goes back to my blessing and cursing in life.....being born into a two cultured situation. God, seriously....this part of the world..,...Eastern Europe...I forgot how STRONG cultural identity is....my dear God of heaven.....it's SO SICKENLY STRONG.....What really bothers me is how judgmental people are...I'm sorry, but if you're going to judge someone based on their cultural background...you might as well just go to hell in my book.....If you don't take the time to get to know my life, my story, the heavens, hells, depressions, sadnesses and joys of  what it took to for me to be here and sacrifice my old life so I could live in this country..I really have no respect for you. Not at all.

We're not nationalities, we're all children of God at the end of the day. When we die, God isn't going to look at our passports, or some document, and judge us according to that. Just saying. Your cultural identity DOES NOT DEFINE WHO YOU ARE IN GOD'S EYES...remember this...it's quite important....

Another thing I simply can't stand about humanity are the "culture haters".....I "hate" to break it to you...but YOUR culture IS NOT the "best" one. God loves ALL people and ALL cultures the same. In as sense I used to be a little like that. I would choose which culture group of people I would like, and which one I would not associate myself with....sounds horrible doesn't it? I know it truly is. Since from the day I was born, I have had to balance two cultures, and God has blessed me with opportunities to walk life with MANY cultures, I can honestly say those experiences of crucially shaped me to who I am today. At the end of my life when I look back, I desire to confidently say with no regrets, "Jesus, I chose to LOVE EVERY PERSON FROM EVERY CULTURE that you blessed me to meet in this beautiful life, for YOUR GLORY".....

One of the hardest things as a Christian that you will EVER have to do...especially for those of us who are involved with cross-cultural missions, is LOVING those cultures who don't necessarily LOVE you back......

I strike myself as that person who ALWAYS have to offer that extra mercy and grace to someone. I have to culturally blend my personality in a way to fit that cultural context or situation. I don't necessarily mean that I change the heart and soul of who I am, but basically when I first meet someone and get to know them, I do a quick analysis of how I can adapt to and best relate to the person in way that is relevant to who they are...This is truly a "social art' that God has been teaching me the past several years of my life, especially this year....If I were to be in those same social situations 5 years ago,...I probably wouldn't have met at least 90% of the friends that I know now. I would have been way too shy and under confident. Overall, I'm a VERY UNDERSTANDING person. I have honestly lived through many life situations, and I really do understand where humanity is coming from. I like to make sure I am as genuine, transparent, honest, and original to everyone I meet. I'm the type of person, if you're drinking coffee and it comes out of your nose and splashes all over your leather jacket, I won't judge you. I won't make fun of you. =) cause I've done that many times myself. Like yeah, so I may look like a high maintenance over fashionable Lietuve, with bright red lipstick, wild personality....but that's just the external of how I express myself, internally my heart of hearts is to simply relate to humanity, and be a reflection of Christ. =)







No comments:

Post a Comment