Monday, October 8, 2012

CUTE. Christianity.

Today as I was walking back from downtown Minneapolis, God inspired me to write these following words.
As I was looking back on Monday night's bible study...(.just an FYI Steiger International's Platform bible study is SO FREAKIN AMAZING, you've pretty much missed out on life if you haven't gone yet...just saying....) It FINALLY hit me...
I was thinking of how judgmental the American church can be.( I mean this in general, I'm NOT pointing out ANY specific churches, just to make myself clear from the beginning)  Honestly, there are times I feel like such an outcast. Let me explain. So basically, I like to dress VERY artsy. It's just simply who I am. Black knee high high top shoes, wine red colored shoe laces, fishnet leggings, red dresses, and black leather jackets, wild 80s style hair and wine red lipstick. Being inspired by color, art, and fashion is the essence of who I am. To not let someone express their artistic self of who God created them to be, is simply...SUICIDE. Walking the streets of this life, this world is SO FREAKIN COLORLESS. Everyone is the same...Same...SAME....where is the vibrant laughter that sticks out in society? I believe when it comes to Christianity there are many ways one can express themselves. For me, I've realized that the colorful way I dress, It blends in with the hardcore European/Russian music punks. I look exactly like them with my Eastern European facial structures, and my clothes. What makes me different is that I have a fire inside my heart for Jesus. I believe that God truly uses how we express ourselves on the outsides to reach our dear brothers and sisters for His kingdom. I'm NOT "choir girl Christian" who dresses in black skirts, a cream pink blouse, and has my hair perfectly straightened. HELL.NO.  and you know what? There's NOTHING wrong with that. Express yourself in the way God created to be. With that thought in mind, He will use every essence of who you are,  to reach that certain people group, including that artsy side that He has given your beloved and blessed soul.

I've always sensed there was something different about me from day one. I could just tell everyday that I was somehow set apart from the rest of society. Even if my parents would have never told me I was Lithuanian, I just knew in my heart something was different. I look back on this beautiful life, and ever since I was a baby my mom (she's quite the amazing artist herself, she paints with oils, acrylics, these absolutely beautiful colorful Lithuanian masterpieces) would do arts and crafts with me, teach me how to paint, the whole arts spectrum. Art was in my blood from the beginning. I discovered Christian music when I was 8, specifically, I discovered Christian PUNK ROCK music when I was 10 years old, I'm talking like FM Static, and Hawk Nelson. This is where I believe I got into the whole "punk rocker essence". To me, there was something simply so fascinating about cute Christian musician men with blonde fohawks, dressed in black skinny jeans, leather jackets, and the lace up leather boots. I just freakin LOVED the look. I also remember going to Chrisitan music festivals between the ages of 10-18, I would love to creep on the "punk rock" fashion style of all the Christian musicians.......Also, throw in the many times I traveled to Europe when I was growing up....I went to Lithuania when I was 1,8, and 15. Rome, Italy at 16. London at 8. Iceland,Norway,Finland at 15. Macedonia,Serbia,Bosnia,Montenegro,Albania,Kosovo,Austria this past summer at 19. So having been immersed in this beautiful European culture, I've gotten to experience quite a diverse spectrum of  what is known as the "Euro style".....lol 

So combine the elements of colorful artsyNESS as a child + Christian musician punk rock look + Euro style = Aistė Miškinytė's fashion.....=)

I've always had the mindset of "European fashion" for as long as I can remember. Growing up, my parents would dress up for every occasion you can think of....it's simply European ettiqutte to look good wherever you go...one of my favorite quotes from a French author (her name slips my mind) is "French women dress up to take out the trash...cause they never know who they may run into"....that's pretty much how I feel when it comes to dressing up. In America, sometimes people look at me weird, or are like "Why do you dress up all the time!?!?!....I've NEVER seen you in sweatpants or a sweatshirt or sneakers!" What I say to that?...AHMEN...If there's one European fashion rule....it's that, "A EUROPEAN would NOT be caught dead in public in sweat pants, sweatshirt, or sneakers"...if you don't believe me...honestly...ask one of your European friends for their insight on this. I feel like sometimes in America, my sense of colorful fashion is looked down upon and not appreciated, and I DO KNOW for a fact I stick out, and you know what I DONT FREAKIN CARE...This world needs more people who are willing to take the risk and stand out with their God inspired artsy fashion!

So whatever artsy style God has called you to express yourself by, don't be afraid to completely embrace who you are...He will use your sense of unique fashion for His glory! 


No comments:

Post a Comment